Friday, May 27, 2011

Owl Moon

By: Jane Yolen (1987)
This book is about a young girl that goes owling with her father. After waiting patiently and silently in the woods they finally see a owl and their trip is deemed a success.

I liked this book because it described the relationship between a father and his daughter and it showed just how much this girl admired her father because she was willing to stay quiet for the whole trip because this was what he told her to do. I had never heard of owling before and do not think I probably ever will but it was interesting to hear about. I thought that the pictures were nice and that they helped give you the feeling of a cold winter night, helping you imagine yourself with the father and daughter on their trip.

As a teacher I think that it would be easy to tie this to a science lesson on either owls or the wilderness. The book uses very descriptive language that helps you visualize the cold surroundings and I think that this would be great to pair with a science unit on owls or the forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment