Friday, May 27, 2011

William's Doll

By: Charlotte Zolotow (1972)
This book is about a boy named William that really wants a doll to play with and take care of. His dad doesn't understand why he wants a doll, and he instead tries to get him other toys that he thinks William will enjoy more, like a train and a basketball. William's brother makes fun of him because he wants a doll and kids call him names. Finally, William's grandma decides to get him the doll that he wants so bad and she explains to William's dad that he need this doll so that he know how to raise and baby and provide for it when he is a father.

I did not really think that this book should be considered controversial because I think that it deals with an issue that many children face everyday. I have heard many stories of little boys playing with dolls and little girls playing with trucks, so I think that this book would be very helpful to parents and children that may be experiencing situations like this one that seem to challenge the gender norms in our culture.

As I was reading this book I tended to put myself in the father's shoes, trying to think how I would react if my son wanted to play with a doll. I could definitely see myself being a little apprehensive with my son playing with a doll, however, I think that if it is what he wants than I will support him. I liked how the grandma ignored the people saying that he shouldn't play with a doll and she explained why William needed it. I thought that the message was really good and I thought that the story accurately portrayed what probably happens to many children that don't care about what toys they are "supposed" to play with.

I think that this would be a really good story to read in a classroom where kids may be making fun of someone for liking a certain kind of music, wearing a certain type of clothes, or acting a certain way. I also think that this may be a good story for parents to read at home to help them support a child that may be experiencing what William is going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment